Phase One has announced its new XT Camera System – price tag starting at $56,990 – a new field camera offering medium format image quality in a compact design.
The Phase One XT uses the same 150-megapixel sensor from and other technology from the company’s XF IQ4 system, launched last year and includes the Phase One IQ4 150MP, IQ4 150MP Achromatic and IQ4 100MP Trichromatic cameras.
The XT’s compact body has been designed to bring the IQ4 system’s image quality into a travel-ready size. Phase One has focused on simplicity and a modular design that can support future expansion.
Phase One XT lenses
Phase One is also releasing three lenses alongside its XT camera body. The lenses were developed with its partner, Rodenstock, and include:
- The XT – Rodenstock HR Digaron-S 23mm f/5.6
- The XT – Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 32mm f/4
- The XT – Rodenstock HR Digaron-W 70mm f/5.6
Each XT lens uses Phase One’s new digital, electromagnet X-Shutter. The XT Camera System also takes full advantage of Rodenstock lenses with 24mm of shift on both the X and Y axis.
The shift movement allows the photographer to correct perspective distortion. It can also be used to create panoramic/stitched images at enormous scale or very high resolutions. The XT Camera Body intelligently integrates the shift position in the image file for later reference.
Phase One XT Price & Release Date
The Phase One XT IQ4 150MP camera system price tag is $56,990, which includes the camera and a lens of your choice.
Phase One XT FAQs
Phase One has published a short list of FAQs about the new XT camera system, explaining its price, competitors and more.
What distinguishes the Phase One XT Camera System?
• Unmatched quality
• Best of everything — Combines the best sensor, with the best processing
platform, with best optics to make a simpler, dedicated, portable and
• Longevity – a serious, intelligent system, built to last a decade, during which free upgrades will provide continually better, more powerful performance.
• Back to Basics photography – designed to deliver the highest quality prints
• The X-Shutter – is exlusive to Phase One and no equal is available in the
Who is this camera built for?
• For those that demand the best image quality above all else.
• Built for professional landscape photographers, but designed for
enthusiasts. For those less interested in technology and focused on the
experience of capturing a moment and a place in time and making prints
• For those who wish to capture travel images in exotic locales, this is the
most portable solution that offers both high-end imaging and complete system integration.
How much training is required to operate?
What’s it like to use?
• The XT Camera System is built in objection to the steep learning curve of a
technical camera. The emphasis is on the craft of being creative and not on
being a camera technician.
• Manual focus gives greatest control and precision — yet its operation is
• During composition, the camera movements are simple to use; dials are
prominent and straight forward, the image in Live View (visible on the IQ4
screen) will show the results of a composition and focus in real-time.
• This camera allows one to take time to compose. This is a intuative camera
that allows the photographer to focus on capturing the right light and
• As you adjust the position of the IQ4 via the X & Y shift dials, the IQ4
screen will communicate show that position and encode that data into the
• If necessary, you can sync a flash to the IQ4’s PC port.
• You can capture tethered to any computer via USB, Ethernet, or WiFi
• No proprietary battery – batteries are easy to find.
• No filters are needed
What/who is this camera competing with?
• There is no comparable competitive product on the market.
• Systems that offer the same optics as the XT lack any integration and
control; they also require significant education and experience to use.
• There may be systems called “technical cameras” which are smaller than the
XT. However they offer neither the advantages of movements nor integration of components, and most importantly they are not available with the X-Shutter.
How much does it cost?
• System cost: $56,990
• Lenses: $8,990 – $11,990
Warranty, etc.: 5 Year Warranty on all components (including unlimited shutter actuations during this period)
Why is it so expensive?
• Built to a standard, not a price point – there is no better image quality
• It’s an investment – built to last
Where can I buy the camera?
Phase One Partners http://www.phaseone.com/partners