Introduced as a more affordable alternative to the Nikon Nikkor Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S, the Nikkor Z 70-180mm f/2.8 slots in alongside the Nikon 17-28mm f/2.8 and 28-75mm f/2.8. It’s a general-purpose telephoto zoom with a constant aperture of f/2.8. This makes it attractive for a wide range of photography, including portrait, lifestyle, sport, nature and events.
The lens is also compatible with Nikon’s Z Teleconverter TC-2.0x and Z Teleconverter TC-1.4x, which make its focal length range 140-360mm and 98-252mm, respectively. When the Z Teleconverter TC-2.0x is used with the Z 70-180MM F/2.8, its maximum reproduction ratio is doubled to 0.96x, almost turning it into a true macro lens.
The lens has 19 elements arranged in 14 groups, including 5 ED elements, 1 super-ED element, and 3 aspherical elements, and it weighs just 795g. Its focusing mechanism, which uses a stepper motor (STM), operates internally, so the front element doesn’t rotate during focusing. However, it changes length when zooming from one focal length to another.
Nikon Nikkor Z 70-180MM F/2.8 price and availability
The Nikon Nikkor Z 70-180MM F/2.8 is set to go on sale on 13th July, priced at £1,299 / €1,499.
- Product type: Telephoto zoom lens
- Mount: Nikon Z
- Format: Full-frame (FX)
- Focal length: 70-180mm
- Maximum aperture: f/2.8
- Minimum aperture: f/22
- Construction: 19 elements in 14 groups including 5 ED elements, 1 super-ED element, 3 aspherical elements
- Coatings: Antifouling coated front element
- Focusing system: Internal autofocusing using stepper motor (STM)
- Minimum focus distance: 70mm: 0.27 m (0.89 ft), 85mm: 0.33 m (1.09 ft), 105mm: 0.426 m (1.38 ft), 135mm: 0.58 m (1.91 ft), 180mm: 0.85m (2.79ft)
- Maximum reproduction ratio: 0.48x
- Stabilisation: No
- Number of diaphragm blades: 9
- Filter size: 67mm
- Weight: 795g
- Diameter x length (extension from lens mount): 83.5 x 151mm