Canon has introduced the RF-S 10-18mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM, a compact and lightweight lens designed for its APS-C format EOS R-series mirrorless cameras such as the Canon R7. With the focal length magnification factor of Canon’s APS-C format cameras, the lens is equivalent to a 16-28.8mm zoom on a full-frame camera.
At just 150g and only 44.9mm in length when collapsed, the new Canon RF-S 10-18mm is smaller and lighter than the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, making it a versatile option for travel, landscape photography and vlogging.
Read our hands-on Canon RF-S 10-18mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM review
Canon has constructed the lens from 12 elements arranged in 10 groups. These include a PMo (plastic-folded) element towards the back of the construction and two UD (Ultra-Low Dispersion) elements, all combining to reduce aberrations and distortions.
According to Canon, the RF mount enables the Canon RF-S 10-18mm f4.5-6.3 IS STM to produce better images quality than the EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, especially at the corners of the frame.
Canon has employed STM (Stepping Motor) technology to deliver fast, smooth and quiet autofocusing that’s suited for shooting stills and video. In manual focus mode, the RF-S 10-18mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM has a maximum reproduction ration of 0.5x (half-life size), making the lens even more versatile.
The RF-S 10-18mm f4.5-6.3 IS STM is equipped with a 4-stop image stabilisation (IS) system, which, when combined with in-body image stabilisation (IBIS), can provide up to 6 stops of shutter speed compensation.
The lens also has a combined focus and control ring that can be customised to suit your preferences.
Canon RF-S 10-18mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM price and availability
The Canon RF-S 10-18mm F4.5-6.3 IS STM’s price is $329 / £379.99 / €439.99, and it will go on sale in December 2023.
- Product type: Ultra-wide zoom lens
- Announced: 2nd November 2023
- Mount: Canon RF
- Format: APS-C
- Focal length: 10-18mm
- Effective focal length: 16-28.8mm
- Maximum aperture: f/22-32
- Minimum aperture: f/4.5-6.3
- Construction: 12 elements in 10 groups, including 2 UD (ultra-low dispersion) and 1 PMo (plastic moulded)
- Weather-sealed: No
- Coatings: N/A
- Focusing system: STM
- Minimum focus distance: AF: 14cm, MF 8.6cm
- Maximum Magnification: AF: 0.23x, MF: 0.5x at 10mm
- Stabilisation: Up to 4 stops by itself or 6 stops on a camera with IBIS (in-body image stabilisation)
- Filter size: 49mm
- Weight: 150g
- Diameter x length (extension from lens mount): 69 x 44.9mm
- Lens hood: EW-53B (optional extra)