Sigma has added a new flagship lens to its Sports range, introducing the Sigma 500mm f/4 DG OS HSM at Photokina 2016.
Among the Sigma 500mm f/4 specs are an Optical Stabilizer (OS) system, Sigma Tele Converter compatibility, an AF function switch, Sigma’s latest-generation Hyper Sonic Motor (HSM) and a new dust- and splash-proof construction.
The enhanced Optical Stabilizer system features an acceleration sensor to deliver up to approximately four stops of stabilization. And the Sigma 500mm offers two OS modes: Mode 1 for general photography and Mode 2 for motor sports and other applications where you might pan.
In Mode 2, the acceleration sensor works it partnership with the Intelligent OS and its updated stabilization algorithm to keep the camera stable while you
move the camera horizontally, vertically or diagonally, regardless of the position of the lens.
The front of the new Sigma lens features a water- and oil-repellent coating that allows water to be wiped away and prevent oil from sticking to the surface.
A magnesium alloy barrel is lightweight and allows such a large telephoto lens to be portable, while the lens hood is also lightweight thanks to a carbon fibre construction.
Other features include a large tripod socket made of antistatic nickel plating on the socket parts. New 90° click stops allow photographers to switch between vertical and horizontal shooting positions. The click position may be canceled by turning off the “de-clicking” switch.
The new Sigma telephoto lens employs two FLD and one SLD glass elements, while the optimized power distribution helps reduce spherical aberration and axial chromatic aberration. Sigma says the optical system also helps reduce transverse chromatic aberration, which can affect the edges of the shots
taken in the telephoto range.
Sigma 500mm f/4 specifications
- Nikon electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism included
- Circular PL Filter RCP-11 is a drop-in polarized filter (sold
- OS system with acceleration sensor and new Intelligent OS algorithm
- AF function switch with preset AF modes
- Manual override incorporated to make two full-time manual modes
- Quieter and Faster “Optimized AF”
- AF is effective even when Tele Converters are attached
- Compatible with Sigma USB Dock
- Lens Construction: 16 elements in 11 groups
- Minimum aperture: F32
- Filter size: ø46mm (Rear)
- Angle of view (35mm): 5°
- Minimum focusing distance: 350cm/137.8in.
- Dimensions (Diameter x Length): ø144.8mm x 380.3mm/5.7in. x 15in.
- Number of diaphragm blades: 9 (Rounded diaphragm)
- Maximum magnification ratio: 1:6.5
- Weight: 3,310g/116.7oz