The DJI OSMO Pocket is a revelation for vloggers, amateur filmmakers or anyone who wants to create professional-looking, stabilised video. But unlike some other cameras, it’s not quite as simple as taking it out of the box and recording straightaway.
Before you can film with the OSMO Pocket you’ll need to activate the device within DJI’s new Mimo app. It’s a fairly straightforward process, but it’s not altogether clear from DJI’s Quick Start Guide in the manual as to how it’s done.
In this quick tutorial we’ll show you step by step how to activate the DJI OSMO Pocket in less than two minutes.
Activating the DJI OSMO Pocket on Android or iPhone
You need a smart device to be able to activate the DJI OSMO Pocket, and the good news is you can do this whether you’re an Android or iOS device user.
Often times companies will release an iOS or Android version first, with the latter to follow, but DJI has released the Pocket’s Mimo companion app for both Android and Apple devices.
What’s more, it has provided Android and iOS adapters in the box – but more on that later.
How to activate the DJI OSMO Pocket in the Mimo app
These are the steps you need to take to activate your new DJI OSMO Pocket…
- Download DJI’s Mimo app from the Google Play or Apple’s App Stores? Install it on your device and sign in to your DJI account. If this is your first experience with a DJI product, you’ll likely have to create an account, which you can do here at the login screen.
- Take your OSMO Pocket out of its case and slide the little cover out of its place underneath the LCD screen. This exposes the connector points for your smartphone adapter.
- In the box with your charging cable are two little plastic bags. These contain the Android and iOS adapters for your smart device. Pick the one appropriate to you and plug it into your device’s charging port.
- Press the power button and turn on the OSMO Pocket. When it powers on, you’ll see yellow text at the bottom which reads, Device Not Activated. This is good!
- Now connect your phone to the OSMO Pocket by sliding the smartphone adapter that is extending from your phone over the exposed connection points on the OSMO Pocket.
- Load the Mimo app on your phone. Now, the app might detect your new device automatically and prompt you to activate it. Or it may not. If not, tap the little camera icon at the top left of your screen in the app. Then on the next screen, select the option to activate via the smartphone adapter.
- You’ll now be cycled through a few screens where you have to authorise the Mimo app to access your device and then allow DJI to access your device information to ascertain whether you have the most up-to-date firmware. Make sure you keep the USB smartphone adapter connected at all times during this.
- You might be prompted to sign in again at this point, particularly if you have just registered an account at the beginning of this process. After signing in, your Pocket will begin communicating with DJI’s servers. Do not leave the app interface while this is going on!
And now you’re done! Simple. You can now disconnect the smartphone adapter from the Pocket and put the cover back over the connection points.
The world is your oyster now and you can go film whatever you want!