Nikon has announced the Z6 II, price tag £1,999 / €2,262, an update to its popular full-frame mirrorless camera that promises more speed.
Like the original Z6 and Z7, the new Nikon Z6 II and Z7 II share many of the same features. One point of difference is the sensor. The Nikon Z6 II boasts a 24.5-megapixel backside illuminated sensor.
While this is the same sensor as in the original Z6, this time it is paired with Nikon’s Dual Expeed 6 processing engines that support faster, deeper buffers that can achieve continuous shooting rates of up to 14fps.
What’s more, Nikon says the new Z6 II can maintain this rate for up to 200 JPEGs or 124 12-bit raw files.
The Nikon Z6 II can also shoot 4K video at up to 30p, which will be expanded to 60p after a firmware update due for release in February 2021. Full HD footage can be recorded at up to 120p. Footage recorded internally is in 8-bit colour.
Other video features include focus peaking and zebra display, as well as Timecode.
One criticism of the Nikon Z6 was its single memory card slot. With the Z6 II Nikon has added a second memory card slot, with support for one CFexpress or XQD card and one SD card.
The Nikon Z6 II’s 273-point hybrid phase-detection AF system is sensitive down to -6 EV with low-light AF, which Nikon describes as quarter moonlight. Also, the human and animal eye AF that was added to the Z6 as a firmware upgrade has also been enabled for the Z6II so that it now operates in video mode.
The new Nikon camera weighs in at 705g and measures 134 x 100.5 x 69.5mm.
Nikon Z6 II Price & Release Date
The Nikon Z6 II price tag will be £1,999 / €2,262. While Nikon hasn’t given a specific date as yet, it says the Nikon Z6 II release date is set for ‘winter 2020’.
- Camera type: Full-frame mirrorless camera
- Announced: 14th October 2020
- Lens mount: Nikon Z
- Sensor: Full-frame (FX 35.9 x 23.9mm) 24.5MP backside illuminated (BSI) sensor
- Processing engine: Dual Expeed 6
- Stabilisation: 5-axis in-body VR
- Sensitivity: ISO 100-51,200, expandable to ISO 50-204,800
- Maximum continuous shooting rate: 14fps for up to 200Jpegs or 124 12-bit uncompressed raw files
- Autofocus system: Hybrid with phase and contrast detection
- Phase detection points: 273
- Video resolution: 4K (3840 x 2160) 30/25/24p (60P to come with free firmware update in Feb 2021), Full-HD (1920 x 1080) 120/100/60/50/30/25/24p, Slow-motion mode 1920 x 1080 30p x4/25p x4/24p x5
- Viewfinder: 0.5-inch 3.69-million-dot electronic viewfinder
- Screen: 3.2-inch 2,100,000-dot tilting touch-screen
- Storage: Dual slot 1 XQD/CFexpress and 1 SD/SDHC/SDXC
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 134 x 100.5 x 69.5mm / 5.3 x 4 x 2.8-inches
- Weight: 705g with battery and memory card but without body cap, 615g body only