Nikon has been very diligent at releasing a major firmware update for the Nikon Z6 and Z7 every several months. First it introduced Eye-Detection AF, extended low-light AF and other enhancements to its full-frame mirrorless cameras. Now it has announced the addition of Animal-Detection AF via new firmware. So how do you update your Nikon Z6 or Z7 firmware to get these new features? Read on to find out.
If you’re new to the Nikon system, or even interchangeable lens cameras, you may be wondering how to update the firmware on the Nikon Z6 and Z7 when the update is released? In this quick guide we’ll explain how.
Whichever camera you have, the process of updating the camera’s firmware is the same in both the Nikon Z6 ad Z7.
Updating the Nikon Z6 and Z7 firmware
Your Nikon Z6 or Z7 camera’s firmware can be updated in just a few quick steps…
- First, visit Nikon’s Download Center and find your camera’s firmware page. If you’re a Z6 user, click here. Nikon Z7 users can click here.
- On your camera’s page in the Download Center you’ll find tabs for Manuals, Firmware and Software. Click on Firmware and then you’ll see the list of firmware versions.
- Find your firmware version in the list and click the View Download Page link. On the next page you’ll have two tabs for Windows and Mac OS. Click the tab for your operating system.
- At the bottom of the page you’ll need to accept the terms of the license agreement and then you can download the firmware file.
- Double click the firmware file (it will be a .dmg file) to mount a disk image containing a folder called ‘Z6Update’. This folder will contain your camera’s new firmware, which will be a .bin file.
- Next you’ll need an XQD card reader and an XQD card that has been formatted in your camera. Plug in the card reader, insert the card and drag the .bin file into the top, or root, folder of the XQD memory card.
- Eject the card from the card reader and insert it into your camera, then turn it on.
- Press the Menu button and navigate to the Camera Setup Menu down the left side of the screen then scroll down to Firmware version. Press OK and the setup process will begin.
- Some on-screen instructions may ask you to authorise certain things; just tap OK. The process will then take a few minutes.
- Once the update is complete, turn off the camera and remove the memory card. You’ll want to delete the firmware file from the card.
- Finally, turn the camera back on and once again navigate to Firmware version in the Setup menu just to confirm that you’ve fully updated to the new firmware version.