There’s been much hype about the DJI Ronin-S and its added value features. If it wasn’t enough that this single-handed gimbal sports the most powerful motors of any gimbal of its type, even surpassing the Ronin-M, it’s also packed with features such as BlueTooth control and fully featured app.
I’ll take an in-depth look at the app and the creative features in another article, here it’s all about the hardware control.
At launch, there is limited compatibility with the Focus Wheel that comes with the Ronin-S and is pre-mounted. For all but Panasonic GH5/s users, the wheel is nothing more than an interesting bit of trim, but DJI has stated that firmware updates will change this very soon and you’ll be able to manually focus direct from the gimbal with a selection of cameras.
Although the big headline focus wheel feature is as yet not compatible with the likes of the Sony Alpha, Nikon and Canon range there is still a base amount of interaction that you can have between the gimbal and your camera.
As yet there is no hardwired solution that will work for all models, but alongside the USB cables or two types, there’s also an IR cable.
This simply plugs into the Ronin-S and then the wire can be manipulated to point at the camera’s IR receiver – in effect working in exactly the same way as any other third-party IR remote.
The set-up is easy enough but you do need to make sure that your camera’s IR receiver is switched on.
In the video tutorial below I demonstrate how to plug in the cable and get set up using the Sony A7 III with the DJI Ronin-S.
If you want more details on the DJI Ronin-S or any other DJI products then check out Modus Brands – UK Distributors of Ronin-S
How to control the Sony A7 III with the DJI Ronin-S IR Cable
- Ensure that the camera and Ronin-S are set-up and switched on. More details on that here!
- Find the IR cable in the cable box and plug the connector end into the Ronin-S base plate
- Manipulate the wire so that it goes around the lens and points directly at the IR receiver of the camera
- Using the Sony A7 III as the example go into the Menu system and select the third setup page and select Remote Control and select on
- Now tap the record button on the grip of the Ronin-S to start recording and again to stop
If you want more details on the DJI Ronin-S or any other DJI products then check out Modus Brands – UK Distributors of Ronin-S.