Sony has issued firmware version 3.0 for the Sony A9, which brings a series of autofocus enhancements, as well as to flash control performance.
Sony A9 firmware version 3.0 includes the following new functionality:
Improvements in auto focus performance and functionality:
- Improves tracking performance of moving subjects in AF-C mode
- Improves auto focus speed in low light
- Adds AF Track Sens as a selectable option for custom key settings
- Adds support for all focus areas when using LA-EA3 mount adaptor
- (Focus Area options added: Zone, Expand Flexible Spot, and Lock-on AF)
Improvements in flash control performance and functionality:
- Reduced release time lag when shooting with flash
- Adds support for Slow Sync and Rear Sync when using flash wirelessly
- Adds support for white balance automatic correction when using color filter of external flash (HVL-F60RM)
Other improvements include a stabilised release time lag when shooting in AF-C mode, and for professional users there is the option to add the Write Serial Number option (On/Off) to the menu for selecting your preference in writing the serial number to the Exif data.