Sigma has announced the 20mm F2 DG DN Contemporary, an I series premium prime lens for full-frame L-mount and Sony E mount mirrorless cameras such as the Sony A7 IV, Sony A7R IV and Sigma fp. Its short focal length and wide maximum aperture make it an attractive option for astro photography, but it’s also suitable for landscape, group portraits and interior photography.
According to Sigma, the metal-barrelled 20mm F2 DG DN Contemporary is almost the same size and weight as the Sigma 24mm F2 I series lens. It also features the familiar signature I series magnetic lens cap and manual aperture ring.
Sigma used its latest optical design technology to create the 20mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary in order to deliver high optical performance across the whole image frame even when the aperture is wide open.
It is constructed from 13 elements in 11 groups with three high-precision glass-molded aspherical lens elements, one SLD (Special Low Dispersion) element and one FLD (‘F’ Low Dispersion) element to minimise aberrations.
Sigma has also suppressed sagittal coma flare to ensure accurate rendering of very bright points of light, which is important for night sky photography.
There are also elements with Sigma’s Super Multi-Layer Coating and Nano Porous Coating (NPC) to reduce flare and ghosting.
L-mount camera users will be pleased to learn that the L-mount version of the 20mm F2 DG DN C supports switching from linear to non-linear focusing. Both mounts are also compatible with Sigma’s USB Dock UD-11 (sold separately).
- Lens type: Full-frame wideangle prime
- Announced: 9th February 2022
- Available mounts: L-mount, Sony E-mount (FE)
- Focal length: 20mm
- Construction: 13 elements in 11 groups, with 1 FLD, 1 SLD, 3 aspherical elements
- Coatings: Super Multi Layer, Nano Porous Coating (NPC)
- Number of aperture blades: 9
- Angle of view: 94.5°
- Focus mechanism: Stepping motor
- Closest focusing distance: 22cm
- Maximum magnification ratio: 1:6.7
- Maximum aperture: f/2
- Minimum aperture: f/22
- Filter size: 62mm
- Supplied accessory: Petal lens hood, magnetic front lens cap, rear cap
- Dimensions (diameter x length): L-mount: 75.5 x 109.5mm, Sony E-mount: 75.5 x 111.5mm
- Weight: 370g
Sigma 20mm F2 DG DN | Contemporary price and availability
The Sigma 20mm F2 DG DN Contemporary will be available from 25th February 2022 for £649.99.
You can pre-order the Sigma 20mm F2 DG DN Contemporary from Adorama in the USA.