The new S1H, S1R, S1, S5 firmware updates will be available to download for free on 24 November 2020, with a further update to the Lumix S1 set to be released at a later date.
The November 24 firmware updates will improve AF technology so that a human head – along with the face and eye – is now recognised by real-time detection technology.
Panasonic says the camera will continue tracking your subjects even if they turn their head or move far away.
The update also improves Panasonic’s DFD technology to improve continuous autofocus.
Other Panasonic S1, S1R, S5, S1H Firmware Enhancements
- Human/Animal recognition is available in [1-Area] and [1-Area+] AF mode
- [AF+MF] mode can be used during video recording
- AF-Recognition during V-Log-recording has been improved (S1H/S1/S5)
- [SS/Gain Operation] function has been added to S1R, S1 and S5
- A recording indication frame [Red REC Frame Indicator] has been added to S1R and S1
- Vertical video playback has been added to S1H, S1R and S1
- 4K video files can now be transferred to a smartphone via Wi-Fi (S1H/S1R/S1)
- The monitors of S1H and S5 now can display the images flipped when the free-angle LCDs are rotated and [Horizontal Image Flip(Monitor)] / [Vertical Image Flip(Monitor)] are activated.
- 5K video recording has been added to S1R
- 10-bit HDR video recording has been added to S1R [Like 2100/HLG]
- High-Resolution audio recording and dedicated menu settings for the DMW-XLR1 microphone adaptor have been added to S1R
- The [Luminance Level] function in S1R now supports 10-bit recording
- 4K 60P/50P 4:2:2 10-bit video output over HDMI has been added to S1R.
- C4K (4096×2160) video has been added to S5
- [5.9K] / [4K] / [Anamorphic (4:3) 3.5K] 12-bit RAW Video Data output over HDMI has been added to S5. Also Apple ProRes RAW can be recorded on Atomos NINJA V (S5)
- Vector Scope display has been added to S5
- Master Pedestal Level has been added to S5
- [L.ClassicNeo] and [L.Monochrome S] Photo Styles have been added to S5