Olympus has launched a series of significant firmware updates for its OM-D E-M1 Mark II, OM-D E-M5 Mark II and PEN-F cameras, improving their performance and adding new features.
Firmware version 2.0 for the Olympus OM-D E-M1 Mark II improves the camera’s Pro Capture mode, increasing the number of pre-captured images to 35, up from 14. And a new Live View icon has been added to indicate when this mode is in use.
What’s more, the OM-D E-M1 Mark II firmware update makes all lenses compatible with Pro Capture H mode.
Other updates in firmware version 2.0 for the E-M1 Mark II include:
- Added Small AF target setting (S-AF and C-AF): Allows for a greater level of precision when choosing a specific AF target
- Added in-camera Focus Stacking support for M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-100mm F4.0 IS PRO lens: In-body Focus Stacking is now supported by a total of eight M.Zuiko lenses*
- Added in-body Fisheye distortion correction (when using with M.Zuiko Digital ED 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO): The 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO can now be used as a wide-angle lens without the fisheye effect. The correction effect may be viewed on the Live View monitor before taking the shot
- Added new “Flicker Scan” function: Indicates how much a scene is flickering on the Live View monitor to help select an appropriate shutter speed to avoid possible flickering when shooting with LED light sources in electronic shutter (silent) mode
- Added new Bleach Bypass Art Filter: This filter reproduces the bleach bypass effect used to develop film – it lends a hard impression to cityscape photos, and an impressive finish to metal textures
- Further improvements: Initial magnification ratio during image playback can now be set; improved C-AF performance; improved IS performance for movie shooting to allow for more natural panning; improved tethered shooting responsiveness & stability with Olympus Capture; fine-tuned battery level indicator
Firmware version 4.0 for the Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II brings a new Focus Stacking feature, which works with the M.Zuiko Digital ED 8mm F1.8 Fisheye PRO, ED 7-14mm F2.8 PRO, ED 12-40mm F2.8 PRO, ED 30mm F3.5 Macro, ED 60mm F2.8 Macro, ED 40-150mm F2.8 PRO, ED 12-100mm F4.0 IS PRO and ED 300mm F4.0 IS PRO lenses.
The update also adds the same Bleach Bypass Art Filter given to the E-M1 Mark II.
The Olympus PEN-F also gets the Bleach Bypass Art Filter in firmware version 3.0. It also adds new shading effects to the Colour Profile Control and Colour Creator.
You can also now transfer and save Monochrome and Colour Profile settings of images captured with a PEN-F to the camera via the Olympus Digital Camera Updater.
As well as the three new firmware updates, Olympus is also releasing a LUT file to fllow for colour grading videos shot with the E-M1 Mark II or E-M5 Mark II in Flat mode when using Blackmagic DaVinci Resolve software.
All of the firmware updates are free to download from Olympus’s website.