Almost 4 months after revealing that the Nikkor Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S was in development, Nikon has announced that the lens will go on sale on 21st April 2022 for £6,299 / US $6,497.
Aimed at professional and dedicated enthusiast bird, wildlife, aircraft, motorsport and winter sports photographers, the Nikon Nikkor Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S is billed as a tough yet lightweight S-line lens.
The new optic features in-lens optical VR (Nikon’s stabilisation system) and Synchro VR for up to 5.5 stops of shutter speed compensation when it’s mounted on the Nikon Z9. It’s also compatible with Nikon’s Z teleconverters, which can take the focal length to 1120 mm with the Z Teleconverter TC-1.4 or 1600 mm with the Z Teleconverter TC-2.0x.
The Nikkor Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S is approximately 2.3 kg lighter and 16% shorter than its F-mount equivalent, and its centre of gravity is closer to the camera body, which makes it easier to keep steady handheld and panning is smoother.
As you’d expect with a Nikon S-line lens, the Nikkor Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S is extensively weather-sealed and there are customisable controls.
In addition, the lens has a drop-in filter slot.
Rob Harmon, Senior Commercial Lead, Nikon Northern Europe, says: “This new 800 mm lens truly opens up exciting new possibilities for photographers. Gone are the days when the shot you can capture with a long lens is dictated by the flexibility of your tripod or monopod. The dramatically reduced size and weight of this new super-telephoto lens offers the kind of portability and handling that was previously impossible: you get more chances to nail difficult shots, or capture perspectives that were previously unattainable.”
Nikon Nikkor Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S price and availability
The Nikon Nikkor Z 800mm f/6.3 VR S goes on sale on 21st April 2021 priced at £6,299 / US $6,497.
- Product type: Super-telephoto prime lens
- Announced: 6th April 2022
- Mount: Nikon Z
- Format: Full-frame (FX)
- Focal length: 800mm
- Maximum aperture: f/6.3
- Minimum aperture: f/32
- Construction: 22 elements in 14 groups with 3 ED (Extra-low Dispersion) elements, 1 SR (Short-wavelength refractive) element and 1 PF (Phase Fresnel) element,
- Coatings: Fluorine-coated front lens element and elements with Nano Caot
- Focusing system: Internal
- Minimum focus distance: 5m
- Maximum reproduction ratio: 0.16x
- Stabilisation: Lens shift using voice coil motors (VCMs), up to 5.5EV compensation
- Number of diaphragm blades: 9
- Filter : Drop-in
- Weight: 2385g / 5lb 4.2oz
- Diameter x length (extension from lens mount): 140 x 385mm / 5.6 x 15.2 inches