Nikon has announced the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S for its mirrorless cameras and it features a built-in 1.4x teleconverter to give a maximum focal length of 560mm. It is the first Z lens to feature Nikon’s new Silky Swift Voice Coil Motor (VCM) focusing system with optical ABS encoder. It’s designed to deliver faster autofocus that is quieter than normal yet enables perfect subject acquisition and tracking.
The Nikon Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S is also the first Z lens to have Nikon’s new Meso Amorphous Coat, which is claimed to deliver the highest anti-reflection performance in Nikkor history. This new coating uses particles even smaller than nano particles and is said to give better control of ghosting and flare with excellent clarity even when shooting scenes with multiple direct light sources
At 2950 g (6 lb 8.1 oz), the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S is light for its focal length and aperture. It’s also fully sealed against moisture and dust, plus its centre of gravity is towards the lens mount to make it feel more stable and balanced in use.
Like several Nikon Z lenses, the Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S has customisable controls including a Function ring.
Rob Harmon, Senior Commercial Lead, Nikon Northern Europe says: “This is the first S-line super-telephoto prime to join the Nikkor Z family and it opens up new possibilities for pro sports, wildlife, and nature photographers. It’s packed with new, innovative technology that takes focusing, image clarity, and adaptability to the next level. Whatever it takes to get the shot, this lens keeps up.”
Nikon Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S key features
- Built-in 1.4x teleconverter: a flick of a switch on the right side of the lens engages the teleconverter and extend the reach of this lens to 560 mm.
- Silky Swift VCM focusing system with optical ABS encoder for fast and accurate autofocus, subject acquisition and tracking.
- Maximum aperture of f/2.8 at 400mm and f/4 with the built-in teleconverter.
- 9-blade iris for rounded bokeh.
- In-lens Vibration Reduction giving up to 5.5-stop shutter speed compensation including when shooting with the built-in teleconverter. Synchro VR is available when this lens is mounted on the Nikon Z9.
- Meso Amorphous Coat: class-leading anti-reflective coating to prevent ghosting and flare.
- Nikon ED, Super ED, and SR glass elements used to avoid chromatic aberrations.
- Sealing around all moving parts keeps dust and moisture at bay.
- Fluorine coating on the front element.
- Centre of gravity is towards the rear for more stable operation.
- Customisable: functions can be assigned to the FN ring, as well as to the Fn buttons, focus ring, and silent control ring. Save focus distances to the memory-set button.
- Removable tripod foot.
- A Kensington® Security Slot to help keep the lens safe.
- Integrated filter slot to accept drop in filters.
- Compatible with the Z TELECONVERTER TC-1.4x and Z TELECONVERTER TC-2.0x.
Nikon Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S price and availability
The Nikkor Z 400mm f/2.8 TC VR S is set to go on sale this spring for £13,499.00 UK / €15,499.00 ROI / $13,996.95 USA. It is available for pre-order from Adorama in the USA.