Nikon has formally announced the AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR super-telephoto lens, which is compatible with Nikon FX-format digital SLR cameras.
By adopting a Phase Fresnel (PF) lens element Nikon has been able to reduce the weight and size of the new AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR lens, making it easier to use handheld.
The AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR lens was originally announced as a development project earlier this summer and is now getting its official release date.
Nikon has made an effort to reduce the size of the AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR lens, which boasts a maximum diameter of 106mm and length of 237mm.
Its weight at approximately 1460g is roughly the same weight as the AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR – other 500 mm lenses normally weigh more than 3000g.
The Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR is also dust and drip-resistant structure, and boasts a fluorine coat applied to the front lens surface. Nikon says:
The use of one PF lens element and three ED glass elements enables extremely sharp and detailed rendering that is compatible with high pixel-count digital cameras. In addition, the materials used in the new PF lens element Nikon has developed, effectively reduce PF (diffraction) flare. Extremely clear images are achieved through the synergistic effects of Nikon’s coating technologies, starting with the Nano Crystal Coat, which is very effective at controlling ghost and flare.
AF speed has been increased by making lens elements in the focusing group lighter. The AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR is also equipped with a VR mechanism that offers camera shake compensation equivalent to a 4.0-stop* increase in shutter speed. In addition, SPORT VR mode has been adopted. SPORT mode is especially effective when photographing fast-moving and unpredictable subjects such as wild birds, or in scenes such as sporting events, as well as when recording movies, due to the stabilisation of the image displayed in the viewfinder.
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR Key Specs
- Smaller and lighter with the adoption of a Phase Fresnel (PF) lens element
- Designed with a dust and drip-resistant structure, and adoption of Nikon’s fluorine coat to repel dust, water droplets, grease, and dirt
- One PF lens element and three ED glass elements have been adopted for detailed rendering that is compatible with high pixel-count digital cameras
- Compatible with the TC-14E III AF-S teleconverter with no loss of optical performance
- Materials used in the new PF lens element help control PF (diffraction) flare
- Nano Crystal Coat helps prevent ghosting and flare
- AF speed increased by making lens elements in the focusing group lighter
- Equipped with a VR mechanism that offers camera shake compensation equivalent to a 4.0-stop increase in shutter speed
- VR mechanism equipped with two modes: NORMAL and SPORT
- Electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism adopted for extremely precise aperture control
The Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 500mm f/5.6E PF ED VR price tag is £3,699 / €4,299.