Canon has announced a new paid firmware update for the EOS R that better enables stop-motion photography.
The new Canon EOS R firmware needs to be installed at one of Canon’s official service centres and adds a slew of new feature to help stop-motion animators.
Chief among these new features is increased resolution in live preview when the EOS R is tethered to a computer. The new firmware boosts this resolution to 1920 x 1280 pixels, up from 960 x 640.
Canon has also added manual focus peaking over USB; however, Canon says that the firmware means that focus peaking will not be available in some scenarios, such as:
- When an EF-S lens is used
- When [Multiple exposure] is set
- When [Cropping/aspect ratio] is set to an option other than [FULL]
- When the shooting screen is magnified
- When you keep holding down the shutter button after shooting
What’s more, the update will also disable the HDMI output and display performance options.