One of the most secretive companies in the photographic industry has taken the unusual step of revealing a few more specifications of the Canon EOS R5 mirrorless camera which is in development.
According to Canon, the full-frame mirrorless camera, which is set to have the Canon R lens mount, will have features that are normally found in much more expensive high-end cinema cameras and video features that no other mirrorless camera currently offers.
That’s encouraging news about the Canon EOS R5’s price.
Canon is creating the camera in response to the increasing need to be able to shoot both high-quality film and stills.
The EOS R5 is said to be the ideal partner to the likes of Canon EOS C300 Mark III launched today. As well as what Canon refers to as ‘outstanding still photography specifications’ the EOS R5 offers:
- 8K RAW – non-cropped, internal recording up to 29.97fps
- Non-cropped, internal recording 8K video capture – up to 29.97fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)
- Non-cropped internal recording 4K video capture – up to 119.88fps in 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log (H.265) or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ (H.265)
- 4:2:2 10-bit in Canon Log or 4:2:2 10-bit HDR PQ output via HDMI at 4K 59.94fps
- Dual Pixel AF is available in all video modes at all resolutions and frame rates
- 5 axis optical IBIS/ enabling Lens IS and camera IBIS to be combined
- Dual card slots – 1x CFexpress and 1x SD UHS-II
Richard Shepherd, Pro Product Marketing Senior Manager, said: “Last month we revealed specs confirming that we have achieved the ‘impossible’ with the EOS R5. Today, we go one step further in showing we are challenging the market and showcasing our unparalleled strength – revealing the camera will offer video recording capabilities unseen in any other mirrorless camera.
“With its ability to record in cinema industry-standard formats and codecs, the EOS R5 is an ideal lead camera for many productions but also, given its compatibility with cinema workflows, the camera will shoot comfortably on high-end production sets.”
Other confirmed Canon EOS R5 specifications include:
- 8K and 4K modes supported by Canon’s Dual Pixel CMOS AF
- Advanced animal AF – recognising dogs, cats and birds
- 12fps shooting with the mechanical shutter and 20fps with the electronic shutter
- Next-level image stabilisation that includes a new in-camera optical image stabilisation system that works with the lens stabilisation system
- Automatic transfer of image files from the camera to the image.canon cloud platform