Lensbaby offers an extensive collection of manual focus lenses for photographers who like to be creative in-camera. The latest addition to the line is the Velvet 28, a wide-angle addition to the range that already includes the Velvet 85 and Velvet 56.
Like the 85 and 56, the Velvet 28mm is suitable for use on full-frame or cropped sensor cameras. It has a focal length of 28mm and a maximum of aperture of f/2.5. However, turning the aperture ring to the + beyond the f/2.5 setting is said to increase the amount of light entering the camera by an extra 1/3 stop.
Also like the other Velvet lenses, the Velvet 28 can capture images with a smooth velvety glow. The degree can be varied to suit the scene.
The Lensbaby Velvet 28 has an all-metal barrel, is hand-built and can focus closely to enable 1:2 magnification.
Lensbaby Velvet 28 Specifications
- Focal Length: 28mm
- Aperture Range: f/2.5 – 22 with bonus ⅓ stop of light (indicated by + on aperture dial) beyond 2.5
- 12 aperture blades
- Minimum Focus Distance: 2 inches
- Maximum Focus Distance: Infinity
- 67mm filter threads
- Focus type: Manual
- DSLR version Size/ Weight: 1.04 lb (471.74g)
- Mirrorless version Size/Weight: 1.31 lb (594.2g)
- 8 multi-coated glass elements, in 7 groups
Lensbaby Velvet 28 Price and Availability
The Lensbaby Velvet 28 is available to order immediately for $549.95. It will be available in Canon EF and RF, Nikon F and Z, Sony E, Fujifilm X and Micro Four Thirds mounts.