Lensbaby has announced the Omni creative filter system. This uses a metal ring and magnetic mounts to hold a collection of Effect Wands in front of the lens. The effects can be moved and altered by shifting and twisting the Wands.
The Lensbaby Omni creative filter kit includes three Effect Wands:
- Crystal Seahorse: This curved piece of glass has scalloped edges with lots of angles to create flare, light redirection and radiant reflections.
- Stretch Glass: This piece of glass has a flat and a curved side, it creates streaks and appears to stretch some of the image.
- Rainbow Film: This a diffraction panel that creates reflections and rainbow colours offset from bright lights
In the Box
The filter ring is available in two sizes, 58mm and 77mm. The 58mm kit also includes step-down rings to enable it to fit 49mm, 52mm, and 55mm lenses. Meanwhile, the 77mm kit has 62mm, 67mm and 72mm step-down rings and an 82mm step-up ring.
While the 82mm step-up ring allows the 77mm filter kit to be mounted on a lens with an 82mm filter thread, it causes vignetting with lenses wider than about 50mm.
Lensbaby Omni Price and Availability
The Omni creative filter kit goes on sale immediately for $99.95 (approximately £80). In addition, Lensbaby has announced the Omni Crystal Expansion Pack which is also on sale immediately for $49.95 (approximately £40).
This includes 3 additional Effects Wands:
- Crystal Spear: Designed to create a wide variety of effects including radiant specular highlights, kaleidoscopic reflections and flare.
- Triangular Prism: Creates reflections.
- Scalloped Window: The scalloped edges create flare and reflections while the large clear centre ensures the subject is visible.