Joby is best known for its bend GorillaPod tripods and Beamo lights, but it also produces microphones and today it’s bolstered the line up with five new Wavo series microphones. Here’s a breakdown of what’s available:
Joby Wavo Pro
Priced at £257.95, the Wavo Pro is Joby’s flagship mic, it’s a shotgun mic designed for expert content creators.
This premium mic has equipped an intelligent hybrid analog/digital system to power its onboard active noise reduction, a sound management app and integrated second 3.5mm mic input.
The Wavo Pro is intended for for use with mirrorless cameras and features:
- An active noise reduction (ANR) system that uses enhanced Rycote technology to remove self-generated structural noise.
- A digital sound management app for iOS and Android, that connects via Bluetooth to the Wavo Pro to provide real- time and remote visual monitoring of sound input, independent dual-mode EQ, and customised, shareable sound setups.
- LEDs in front and back to provide real time monitoring no matter the orientation.
- Seamless secondary mic input for easy interviews or dual channel recording.
- Onboard -10db safe track for mono or dual channel recording.
- Auto power mode to switch the mic on/off automatically together with the camera.
- Perfect pairing with all Joby content creation kit, including tripods, lights and mics.
Joby Wavo Pro DS
Available from 4th March for £228.95, this mid-range shotgun microphone has most of the pro-grade components of the flagship Wavo Pro, but is easier to use. The Joby Wavo Pro DS features include:
- A plug-and-play, simple user interface with a few key controls for audio content creation.
- A high-pass filter that cleans sound from unwanted low frequencies in real-time.
- Onboard safe track for mono or dual channel recording.
- Integrated LEDs indicate battery and audio levels.
Joby Wavo Air
The Wavo Air is an ‘instant-pairing’ wireless microphone kit for greater freedom in front of the camera. The Wavo Air is said to deliver broadcast-quality sound even at a distance and has a £214.95 price tag. It also pairs easily with a variety of custom accessories, and be placed in any environment ready for action.
The Wavo Air Kit comes with double transmitters, two lavalier mics and cable adapters for both cameras and phones. This wireless mic can be paired with audio enhancement accessories including stability and support mounts, or even additional lav mics and transmitters. The Joby Wavo Air features include:
- High-quality, 2.4 GHz wireless audio capture technology in a lightweight, pocketable form factor.
- Hands-free audio capture with lav mics, including a unique Joby-designed mounting system that goes from magnetic mount lanyard, belt clip or cold shoe mount, to GorillaPod leg clip and many more.
- Compatible out-of-the-box with smartphones and cameras using TRS and TRRS cables, and two transmitters for interviews.
- Long-range wireless capture lets you exit close-up shots and still record up to 50m (164ft); mics can even be placed in different locations to record specific audio far from the camera to enrich the video content.
Joby Wavo Pod
The Wavo Pod is Joby’s large-diaphragm USB condenser microphone for podcasting and streaming. It has both cardioid and omnidirectional pickup patterns with 24bit/48kHz high-res sampling rates.
Retailing at £85.95, the Joby Wavo Pod’s features include:
- A zero-latency headphone monitoring 3.5mm jack along with a volume and gain knob with one-click integrated mute functionality.
- Includes a Joby-designed pop filter accessory – designed to remove voice plosives – and a desk stand. A secondary filter is available as a separate purchase ($9.95) that shields the back side of the mic for multiple or simultaneous recording angles, and crisp, pop-free vocals.
- Industry-standard USB Type-C connection for seamless, plug-and-play use with laptops, desktops, tablets and smartphones.
- Two ¼-20 mounts on either side of the mic stand can attach accessories, and position the mic using a GorillaPod or boom arm for any streamer’s customised setup.
- Equipped with a detachable base and U bracket, native ⅜-inch female screw and included ⅜-inch to ⅝-inch adapter, to easily connect to any boom arm.
Joby Wavo Lav Pro
Joby’s first pro-grade lavalier mic has a price tag of £68.95 and is designed to deliver great sound from a small form factor, it’s ideal for use with the Wavo Pro and other Joby audio gear
Joby Wavo Lav Pro key features include:
- A pro-grade capsule and included foam windscreen for crisp, warm and true tone audio, and removes vocal plosives or soft wind.
- A 2.5m long, high-quality cable made from soft materials, connects to the Wavo Lav Pro for the ultimate interview setup that minimises transferring vibrations.
- A small footprint of Wavo Lav Pro makes it easy to conceal while a durable aluminium mounting clip keeps it locked into position.
- A 3.5mm TRS connector pairs perfectly with Wavo Pro and works with standard camera attachments.