Nikon has announced that on the 5th January there will be a firmware available for download for the Z9. Firmware Ver.1.10 can be downloaded via the Nikon download centre or Nikon’s Snapbridge mobile app.
This new firmware will extend the duration of the Nikon Z9‘s high-speed continuous shooting in some situations. For example, when shooting High-Efficiency RAW + JPEG BASIC (L) files at 20fps, the maximum shooting time extends from 3 seconds to 15 seconds, which is the world’s longest duration for a 30Mp+ mirrorless camera.
Also, when shooting High-Efficiency RAW★+ JPEG BASIC (L) or JPEG FINE (L)+ JPEG BASIC (S)at 20fps, the duration will rise from 3 seconds to approximately 8 seconds.
These speeds and durations are achieved when a Nikkor Z 50mm f/1.8 S lens is mounted on the Z9 and a ProGrade Digital Cobalt 1700R 325GB memory card is installed. According to Nikon, the duration shortens if the card in slot 2 is set as a backup, or ‘on’ is selected for Auto distortion control, etc.
Nikon is also promising a further firmware update that will add a ‘variety of video functions as well as further improved operability and functionality for both stills and videos’.
Follow the link to read how to update the firmware of Nikon’s recent Z-series cameras, including the Z9, Z7 II and Z6 II, using the SnapBridge app.
- Camera type: Full-frame mirrorless camera
- Announced: 28th October 2021
- Lens mount: Nikon Z
- Sensor: Full-frame (FX 35.9 x 23.9mm) 45.7MP stacked backside illuminated (BSI) sensor
- Processing engine: Expeed 7
- Stabilisation: 5-axis sensor shift giving 6EV shutter speed compensation
- Sensitivity: ISO 64-25,600, expandable to ISO 32-102,400
- Maximum continuous shooting rate: 20fps for up to 1000+ raw (high efficiency) files or 685 raw (high efficiency *) files, 30fps for up to 1000+ normal-quality Jpegs, or 120fps normal-quality 11Mp Jpegs
- Autofocus system: Hybrid with phase and contrast detection
- Phase detection points: 493
- AF-area modes: Pinpoint (available in photo mode only), single-point, dynamic-area (S, M, and L; available in photo mode only), wide-area (S and L), and auto-area AF, 3D-tracking (available in photo mode only), subject-tracking AF (available in video mode only)
- Video resolution: 8K (7680 x 4320): 30p (progressive)/25p/24p, 4K (3840 x 2160): 120p/100p/60p/50p/30p/25p/24p, Full HD (1920 x 1080): 120p/100p/60p/50p/30p/25p/24p
- Video file format: MOV, MP4
- Video compression: Apple ProRes 422 HQ (10 bit), H.265/HEVC (8 bit/10 bit), H.264/AVC (8 bit)
- Viewfinder: 0.5-inch 3.69-million-dot, 3,000-nit OLED viewfinder
- Screen: 3.2-inch 2,100,000-dot 4-way-tilting touch-screen
- Storage: Dual XQD/CFexpress
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 149 x 149.5 x 90.5 mm / 5.9 x 5.9 x 3.6 inches
- Weight: 1340 g / 2 lb. 15.3 oz.with battery and memory card but without body cap and accessory shoe cover, Body only: 1160g / 2 lb. 9 oz.