Compact cameras, also known as point and shoot camera, were for many, many years the most popular and best-selling variety of camera on the market. Their simplicity, ease of use, autofocus and automatic systems for setting exposure made them the perfect camera to take on holiday or carry with you in your pocket for that once in a lifetime shot of Bigfoot!
But the dawn of the smartphone has marked the death knell for compact cameras, and since 2010 sales of new compacts have been in a downward spiral. Bigger screens, more functionality, the instant sharing of images and the fact that they are even simpler to use has given smartphones a unique advantage over compact cameras, ensuring that the best camera is, indeed, the one you have on you - your phone.
Nevertheless, there are still some interesting models coming on to the market, and on this page we will keep you up to date with all the latest news, reviews and buying guides for compact cameras.
What's more, if you have experience with a particular compact camera model or brand, or perhaps you have some unique insights into their technology, then we would love to hear from you! Here at Camera Jabber we value all of our readers' opinions and welcome guest bloggers.
- Best Memory cards for GoPro Hero7 Black 149 views
- How to GoPro skiing: tips for mounts and camera positions 139 views
- GoPro Hero8 Black: specs we’d like to see 123 views
- The best camera rumours of 2018: Updated November 2018 109 views
- iPhone XS vs Huawei Mate 20 Pro: which is best for photography? 108 views
- Nikon Z 6 Review 104 views
- DJI Ronin-S gets expanded support for Sony cameras, Canon 5D Mark III in new firmware update 89 views
- Best Sony A7 III deals 84 views
- How to use GoPro Hero7 Black live streaming 81 views
- DJI Tello drone review 77 views