Compact cameras, also known as point and shoot camera, were for many, many years the most popular and best-selling variety of camera on the market. Their simplicity, ease of use, autofocus and automatic systems for setting exposure made them the perfect camera to take on holiday or carry with you in your pocket for that once in a lifetime shot of Bigfoot!
But the dawn of the smartphone has marked the death knell for compact cameras, and since 2010 sales of new compacts have been in a downward spiral. Bigger screens, more functionality, the instant sharing of images and the fact that they are even simpler to use has given smartphones a unique advantage over compact cameras, ensuring that the best camera is, indeed, the one you have on you - your phone.
Nevertheless, there are still some interesting models coming on to the market, and on this page we will keep you up to date with all the latest news, reviews and buying guides for compact cameras.
What's more, if you have experience with a particular compact camera model or brand, or perhaps you have some unique insights into their technology, then we would love to hear from you! Here at Camera Jabber we value all of our readers' opinions and welcome guest bloggers.
- GoPro Hero8 Black: specs we’d like to see 456 views
- Huawei P30 Pro Camera Review 162 views
- Best variable ND filter in 2019 114 views
- DJI Spark 2: specs, release date, news and rumours 106 views
- Peak Design Everyday Sling 5L review 89 views
- Our review of using Amazon Prime for photo storage 87 views
- Fujifilm X-T30 Review: Updated with Firmware Ver.1.01 78 views
- Best APS-C Cameras: what to look out for and what to buy in 2019 63 views
- Fujifilm X-T30 vs X-T20 62 views
- Best camera settings for sunsets 62 views