Canon has announced the EOS R7, price tag £1,349.99 / €1,649.99 / $1,499.00, a new APS-C format mirrorless camera that builds on the high-speed performance of the EOS 7D series of DSLRs.
Aimed at wildlife and sports photographers, in particular, the Canon EOS R7 boasts a newly designed 32.5-megapixels APS-C sensor which is paired with Canon’s latest DIGIC X image processor. The EOS R7 and the Canon EOS R10 that was also launched today mark the first APS-C cameras in Canon’s mirrorless EOS R system.
Canon EOS R7 Specifications
Like the full-frame EOS R system cameras, the EOS R7 inherits the company’s Deep Learning AF and Dual Pixel CMOS AF II technology, which has subject recognition and tracking modes for people, animals and vehicles.
In total, the EOS R7 offers 5,915 different AF positions for shooting stills and 4,823 in video mode. The R7’s AF system can also focus in light conditions as low as -5EV. The new Canon camera also offers Touch and Drag AF functionality, and it’s the first Canon EOS R system camera to feature a combined AF multi-controller and control wheel, allowing you to change your AF point with a simple thumb movement.
The Canon EOS 7D cameras were known for their speed, and the EOS R7 carries on this tradition. The camera chan shoot 15fps in continuous shooting mode with its mechanical shutter and up to 30fps with its electronic shutter. What’s more, it can achieve shutter speeds of 1/8,000sec with its mechanical shutter and a maximum 1/16,000sec with the electronic shutter.
Canon’s 30fps RAW burst mode also lets you work with your images from these sequences as a movie file. Pre-shooting mode will start capturing 0.5secs before you press the shutter.
Like other recent EOS R system cameras, the Canon EOS R7 features in-body image stabilisation. It provides stabilisation across five axes for both video and stills, with up to 8EV shutter speed compensation.
New in the EOS R7 is a horizon correction function called Auto-level, which compensates for vertical shake in the camera’s new panoramic and panning shooting modes.
Videographers and hybrid shooters will appreciate the ability to record 4K video at 60p with full sensor readout. There’s also Full HD at 120p as an option for slow motion videos.
It’s also possible to shoot 4K 30p footage oversampled from 7K. What’s more, Canon Log 3 is available if you’re keen to grade the footage or need to match the output from another camera.
The Canon EOS R7 weighs just 612g with the battery and card inserted. It’s also weather resistant for shooting in all types of conditions.
On the back is a vari-angle LCD touchscreen, with customisable dials on the top plate. The 0.39-inch, 2.36-million-dot OLED EVF offers a 1.15x magnification.
The Canon EOS R7 also has dual SD/SDHC/SDXC UHS-II card slots.
Canon EOS R7 Price
The Canon EOS R7 price tag starts at £1,349.99 / $1,499.99 / €1,649.99 for the body only. Its release date is set for the end of June 2022.
- Camera type: Mirrorless
- Announced: 24th May 2022
- Sensor: 32.5Mp APS-C format (22.3 x 14.8mm) CMOS
- Processor: Digic X
- Lens mount: Canon RF
- Sensitivity range: ISO 100-32,000 expandable to ISO 51,200
- AF system: Dual Pixel CMOS II AF phase detection with up to 5915 positions and 651 automatically selectable points
- Subject detection and tracking: Humans (Eyes/Face/Head/Body), Animals (Dogs, Cats and Birds) or Vehicles (Racing cars or Motor bikes)
- Viewfinder: 0.39-type 2,360,000-dots OLED EVF
- Screen: Touch-sensitive vari-angle 2.95-inch LCD with 1.62 million dots
- Video resolution: 4K (3840 x 2160) at up to 60p, Full HD: (1920 x 1080) at up to 120p
- Max continuous shooting rate: Mechanical shutter: 15fps for up to 224 Jpegs or 51 raw files, Electronic shutter: 30fps for 126 Jpegs or 42 raw files
- Shutter speed range: Mechanical: 30-1/8000 sec, Bulb, Electronic: 30-1/16000 sec
- Built-in flash: No
- Battery: Li-ion LP-E6N, Viewfinder: Approx. 500 shots Screen: Approx 770 shots
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 132.0 x 90.4 x 91.7mm
- Weight: 612g including battery and memory card