Are you looking for a Panasonic GH5 deal that will save you money? You’re not alone. The Panasonic GH5 has been one of the most popular cameras since its launch, thanks to its impressive video specs and performance combined with a sub-£2000 price tag.
This time of year there are plenty of great offers on hand, and below we’ll round up our carefully curated list of the best Panasonic GH5 deals available today. But first, let’s go into a little more detail on why the GH5 is one of the best cameras you can buy right now…
Why buy the Panasonic GH5
|Camera Name||Panasonic Lumix GH5|
|Date announced:||4th Jan 2017|
|Price at launch:||£1,699 body only, £1,899 with 12-60mm f/3.5-5.6 lens, £2,199 with Leica 12-60mm f/2.8-4 lens|
|Sensor size:||Four Thirds type (17.3 x 13mm)|
|Effective pixel count:||20.3 million|
|Lens/Mount:||Micro Four Thirds|
|Processor:||Venus Engine 10|
|Sensitivity range:||Still image: 200-25600 (expandable to 100-25,600) Video Mode: 200-12800 (expandable to 100-25,600)|
|AF System:||225-point Contrast detection|
|Max shooting rate:||12fps with AF-S, 9fps with AF-C|
|Max video resolution:||4K (4096 x 2160) at 24p, 4K (3840 x 2160) at 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p, 24p with no cropping|
|Storage:||2x SD/SDHC/SDXC UHS-II|
|Viewfinder:||21mm electronic with 3,680,000 dots OLED|
|Screen:||Touch-sensitive vari-angle 3.2-inch RGBW LCD with 1,620,000 dots|
|Dimensions:||138.5 x 98.1 x 87.4 mm / 5.45 x 3.86 x 3.44 inch (excluding protrusions)|
|Weight:||645g / 1.42 lb (Body only, 725g / 1.60 lb (SD card, Battery, Body), ), 935g / 2.06 lb (SD card x 1, Battery, H-FS12060 lens included), 1030g / 2.27 lb (SD card x 1, Battery, H-HSA12035 lens included), 1045g / 2.30 lb (SD card x 1, Battery, H-ES12060 lens included)|
- Extensive video specification
- High-quality stills and video
- High-quality EVF and vari-angle touch-screen
While the Panasonic GH5 is a very good capable stills camera, its real strength lies in its video capabilities. It offers videographers the kind of specification and video quality that is normally only made possible by a much larger, more expensive cinematic camera. It’s even possible to connect XLR mic via an optional adaptor.
In addition to the extensive range of video quality, format and frame rate options, the GH5 has a high-quality viewfinder, excellent vari-angle touch-screen and both 4K Photo and 6K Photo mode to simplify capturing fleeting moments. It’s also dust and weatherproof so you can use it without concern outdoors.
Inside the GH5 is a 20Mp Four Thirds type CMOS sensor with no optical low-pass filter to allow it to record more detail. This is paired with a new Lumix processing engine which enables a native sensitivity range of ISO 200-25,600. This can be expanded to a low setting of ISO 100 – that’s the same as the GH4.
The processor also enables a maximum continuous shooting rate of 12fps (frames per second) in single AF mode, or 9fps with continuous autofocusing.
Crucially, the GH5’s sensor can move to enable Panasonic’s 5-axis Dual IS II system and work in harmony with stabilised lenses to extend the safe hand-holding shutter speed and smooth out wobbles during video recording.
Videographers will be pleased to learn that there’s unlimited 4K video recording – most cameras can only record in bursts of up to 29minutes and 59 seconds. There’s also a choice between MOV, MP4, AVCHD Progressive and AVCHD formats at a variety of frame rates, the system frequency can be set to 59.94Hz, 50.00Hz or 24.00Hz.
In addition, there’s a Waveform Monitor and Vector Scope to meet the needs of professional videographers. This embeds SMPTE-compliant Time Code with Rec Run or Free Run counting to aid with multiple device synchronisation.
It’s possible to shoot 4096 x 2160 4K at 24p (or 3840 x 2160 4K at 60p, 50p, 30p, 25p, 24p with no cropping), 4:2:2 10-bit Full HD (1080p) recording and 4K 4:2:2 10-bit ALL-Intra MP4/MOV (apart from at 60/50p) and Full HD 4:2:2 10-bit ALL-Intra recording. The step-up from 8-bit to 10-bit recording vastly increases the range of colours that can be recorded.
A firmware update has also added high-resolution Anamorphic Video Mode and Hybrid Log Gamma for 4K HDR Video (for playback on HDR compatible televisions).
It’s also possible to add V-LogL recording via an optional software key (DMW-SFU1), with LUT (Look Up Table) and V-LogL View Assist to help experienced videographers get the colour and contrast they want.
Further good news for video shooters is that the GH5 can output live to an external recorder and simultaneous internal (there are dual SD card ports) and external recording is possible. Plus there’s an optional adaptor (DMW-XLR1) to allow an XLR microphone to be used for sound recording.
You can read more in-depth on how the camera performs, as well as see some sample video footage and still images in our Panasonic GH5 review.
Panasonic has also proved very diligent at regularly updating the GH5’s firmware to add new functionality based on user requests. Some two years on from its launch, the company is still adding new features and refining others. Its most recent firmware update added the following:
- Improved AF performance – increased tracking AF performance, allowing users to easily follow their subject while recording movies
- L. Monochrome D & Grain effect – The new L. Monochrome D captures even darker tones and greater contrast, with grain effects available in different strengths for all monochrome settings – a fantastic addition to the many black and white options of LUMIX cameras
- Live View Boost – viewfinder screen and LCD monitor can be displayed brighter than the image recorded, allowing users to check the composition in low-light environments and helping to frame their perfect shot
- MF Assist – more accurate manual focusing for stills or moving images, thanks to up to 20x magnification available in MF Assist mode
- Night Mode – camera screen displays all information in red, so photographers and subjects are not disturbed by white light emission
- Like 709 & V-LogL improvements – Like 709, V-LogL* and V-LogL* View Assist in Photo Style can now be used for still photo shooting and time lapse video. [LUT Monitor Display*] and [LUT HDMI Display*] can be used in playback mode to check the appearance. *Upgrade Software Key DMW-SFU1 is required – sold separately
- Enhanced sound quality – sound quality has been improved by optimising the performance of the internal noise cancelling microphone
Panasonic GH5 deals
Below are some of the best Panasonic GH5 deals available today from a wide range of retailers. This list is dynamic, and we update it as and when new deals arrive.